View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

Hi WakeUp,
What good does it do to stop drinking but then turn around and trash your body with caffeine, nicotine and sugar?!?!?
With alcohol, you trash your health AND YOUR DIGNITY

Sugar cravings are not an unusual thing and I experienced them too, especially in the first 6-8 weeks.
The daily intake of let's f.e. say 10 to 12 beers add much more than 1000 extra calories in carbohydrates/sugar to one's regular nutrition . (1 can of normal beer= roughly 150 calories/ 14g of carbohydrates/sugar.) The body has adjusted to these amounts and it tries to procure them elsewhere now that you quit drinking. It will take a while for your body to adjust to these changes. If it is a problem that really bothers you or you have other medical conditions you could consult a physician/nutritionist who knows how you can manage blood sugar levels, f.e. trough a hypoglycemia adapted diet.

As for the smoking and coffe thing, I don't know, because I quit smoking and drinking on the same day. (I still don't know how I managed to do this, and maybe it is not recommendable either)
I still drink coffee, in the beginning of my sobriety it was a more than usual but it has gone back to mormal. When I quit drinking I had no other medical problems, so to be honest for the first two and a half months I was too focused on my sobritety to worry about my intake of sweets. I did also exercise a lot to stay focused so I didn't gain much weight from it. I made some healthy dietary changes a bit later on though.
Take care, it takes some time but it gets better,
S.