View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nevertheless

I went through the same thing. I have a blood sugar test kit(it was my moms ,she passed away about a year ago). I found my blood sugar low (just barely) a couple times. So I started thinking I was hypoglycemic. I kept taking it on a regular basis, and found it tipped the scale on the high side also. I have also always craved lots of water (a diabetic symptom). At about 5 or 6 months sober I quit craving all that water.
Yes they say most alcoholics are hypoglycemic, at first I believed this but I don't know. They say that sugar will elevate your cravings. Idon't know. Once I found out my sugar levels were within reason, I would eat half a chocolate cake at one sitting. It didn't make me crave alcohol, it made me happy. I craved cake and cake fulfilled my craving. And I sure didn't want a beer after all that freakin cake. (but if you drank all day, maybe they are talking about tomorrow). (I was an after 5 drunk).
I am now right at the 7 month mark, and I still crave sugar, but nothing like at first. I limit myself to a cupcake a day, maybe 2. But after 2 it just doesn't sound good.
They say with hypoglycemia, you have to test your sugar every couple hours, so a doctor visit will only tell you what it is at the time of the visit. A test kit is around 100 dollars, or a little over (about a doctor visit). If you are going to eat a bunch of sugar it is good to know where your blood sugar is. (doctor disclaimer) I'm not saying not to see your doctor. (see your doctor).
I am saying my sugar craving receded after a few months , and is still receding. My blood sugar level also leveled out. Just my experience with it.
Fred