Thread: AA Religion?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I understand people who would like to skip prayers or the pledge before ball games, but I will not let that keep me from enjoying the ball game! Likewise you should not let the religious overtones of AA keep you from taking advantage of what AA has to offer. If you feel "uncomfortable" at an AA meeting because of this, maybe it is just you? Maybe it is to your benefit to endure a little discomfort, kinda like going to the dentist is uncomfortable but ultimately to your benefit.
As I am the person who mentioned "religious overtones", I assume this was directed towards me. If it were just the prayer at the end of the meeting, it probably wouldn't bother me much. However, I mentioned several other things, and could probably come up with more, but choose not to. It is the combination of those things, as a whole, that bother me.

BTW, I'm not asking AA to change for my sake. It is a good program that has helped and continues to help many people. All I'm saying is that there are real reasons people feel the way they do about AA and other 12 step programs and the "religious" componants found there. Personally I have found other means of recovery that I am more comfortable with, as have many others here at SR. In fact SR is how I found these programs. (Thanks SR!!!!) Just because AA works for you does not mean it is for everyone, anymore than Christianity working for a Budhist or Hindu.

As far as going to the dentist goes, I now go to a dentist who uses a new technology that uses high pressure water instead of picks and drills. No pain, even for fillings. I suppose some would say this is taking the gentler and easier way, and perhaps it is. I say it is using new and better technology. I'm not saying 12 step programs are old and bad, just that there are other options out there that may work better for some. Take care.