View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GiveLove

The day will never come when I do not let myself feel angry at the behavior of dishonorable people. (If it ever does, you all have my permission to stick a fork in me and turn me over)

And yet I tried hard to 'stuff' my emotions. It helped me to ponder why I wanted to do so:

1) I didn't want to fly off the handle at him, because I knew it would do no good, and only make me look like a psycho.

2) I wanted to stay in denial about how bad things were, and so I kept myself from feeling my feelings (and six years later, I finally left him )

3) I already knew that I was going to be leaving soon, and I wanted to avoid being cripped by anger because I needed that energy to pour into my future plans and life

Where you are in this grouping may help you decide what to do with your (righteous) anger. For example, my skills of detachment served me well in #1 and #3, but hurt me in #2. Feeling my feelings and acknowledging that wasn't how I wanted to live my life - THAT was what I should have done more of.

You're doing fine, lady. Feel what you feel, but do what's best for you & your kids. Sometimes, that's detachment.