View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by Cucumber2Pickle View Post
I dont know what to do - I love him SO MUCH. But he has been so awful to me. If he leaves I dont know what Ill do. I was a good gf to him. I would have done anything for him. After all the times I lugged him into the house after I found him passed out drunk in the driveway...after sticking up for him when his family put him down...always being there for him. How can he be like this to me? Why?
Because he's an alcoholic and what matters most to him is the booze, not you. I'm sorry it's painful to hear/read, but the fact of the matter is, your own words show that he has little regard for you. He treats you this way because so far, you have shown him that it's ok to do so, because you'll be there to pick him up when he falls down, lend him money when he needs it, etc etc.

I'm not sure if this is your first post here, but if it is, I think you'll find an awesome group of very supportive people. You can post thread after thread, and people will respond with love and support. There's also awesome literature in the Classic Reading sticky you might want to check out...

SR is honestly what has helped me realize that I am a raging enabling codependent, and that my soon-to-be-ex-husband is in fact a highly functioning alcoholic (AND a lying manipulating psychopath, but we won't go into that right now). Until I found this place, I was lost, severely unhappy and didn't think there was a way out.

I really hope others have more advice for you. All I can tell you is that you don't deserve this, that you didn't cause his drinking, can't change it and can't cure it. Only he can decide that.