Thread: Another new guy
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

They don't really seem like my thing,
How many have you been to? I would be lying if I said that I looked forward to going to AA, I did not! I just knew that AA was chock full of old broken down men, sitting around drinking coffee, smoking, and whining about not being able to drink any more. I did not want that crap at all, I had also heard that AA was a bunch of religous fanatics.

What I thought and what I found in AA was as opposite as night and day. Men and women of every walk of life one could imagine, laughing, talking, smiling, most with a twinkle in thier eye and an air of serenity about them.

Yes there is a ton of coffee drinking going on and a good deal of smoking out side of the meeting, but that was the only part I was correct on, of course when I first went to AA I smoked and drank as well.

BTW I also discovered that there are no rules in AA, come early, leave late, if you wish, but doing that leaves out some of the best stuff which goes on before and after meetings.

You do not have to say a single word unless you want to. You do not have to put a buck in the basket if you don't want to.

What do you have to lose by going to some meetings?

What do you possibly have to gain by going? Perhaps a whole new way of living life one day at a time free of the obsession for alcohol with out a gun held to your head (antabuse) and living life on lifes terms.