Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wish someone had told me this . . . . .

I wish someone had told me that as the,'Big Book' (Alcholics Anonymous) says the mind and body of an alcoholic are different or as Dr.Silkworth said he believed those who suffer alcoholism have a physical allergy, apparently it has now known that alcohol is broken down by enzymes, but you all knew that. In a normal,'social drinker' the metabolism breaks down alcohol at the rate of 1oz. per hour, this doesn't happen in the case of alcoholics. Acetone which breaks down the alcoholic carbohydrates works at a much slower rate and as the acetone level rises it sends messages to the brain craving MORE alcohol, it also destroys tissue in the liver and pancreas greatly assisted by the aging process.
Equally so the problems of life make an alcoholic seek the ease and comfort brought by the first drink, so all that happens is that the process starts all over again in a vicious, life destroying circle. So the answer lies on Page 164 of the,'Big Book', a 'psyhcic change' brought on by a 'spiritual experience' or as Bill Wilson said,'spiritual education' is what is required.
I wish someone had told me this 30years ago when I first walked into an AA meeting instead of just getting me to wash the pots, but then may be thery do things different here in the UK.