Thread: in A God Funk
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
joedris

Fenster, Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that God doesnt intervene in any human life whatsoever? I ask this question not trying to be critical of your beliefs, but rather out of a desire to learn why you feel that way. I know many people have a problem here because they ask God for something and they don't get what they want. Ergo, God didn't answer their prayers. They don't realize that what they want and what they need may not be the same thing, and God indeed answered their prayers by giving them what they need. Others question why God allows so much suffering in the world. I can't answer this sort of question.

This is not to suggest that you fit into either category, but I would be interested in why you feel the way you do. And although you say that you don't believe in turning your will and life over to God, in essence you're doing just that. You try to figure what God would want you to do and you take that course of action. You hope the story of Jesus is true and you can follow him and hope. You're doing the best you can.

When I have a sponsee who suffers a crisis of faith, I suggest that they take two weeks and try to talk to God (or whatever higher power they choose) in whatever manner they wish. Following that, I suggest they take the next two weeks listening to God. In this manner they begin to establish a personal relationship with God or their higher power. And that, my friend, is the essence of spirituality.

So don't be discouraged. God's giving you what you need. If you remain on the path you've chosen you'll eventually find the answers you're seeking. For some of us it's more difficult than for others. Mother Theresa went years unable to incorporate spirituality into her life, and her pain was evident to those around her. But over time she succeeded. There's no reason why you shouldn't succeed also.

And that nagging little voice telling you to give up and drink again? That's the disease of alcoholism. It's looking for an opening. It's telling you that you don't really suffer from the disease. That's one voice you want to learn to ignore.