View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Hi Puggrinz. Sorry you're still sick. There is a lot of that going around, especially where it just lingers and lingers for weeks. Before you go to the doctor, I would recommend googling "Is it a Virus or a Cold?" and looking at the chart of symptoms, so that you can be more clear with your doc in describing them.

As for the no-contact and what you are going thru right now...What helped me tremendously (and still does) is this:

I finally accepted that I cannot help him in any way, shape, or form. I had to accept that the stage of addiction he is in, ANY of what I would call "helping" is actually enabling. Even trying to continue a relationship with him is enabling. Because my acceptance of him into my life at ANY level, even with NO expectations, allows him to continue to believe that (1) there is nothing "wrong" and (2) everything that happens as a consequence of his behavior is MY fault. He continues to believe this despite the fact that I will not answer his calls and have completely taken myself out of the picture. I don't want to contribute to the progression of his disease.

You see, his entire world is shaped by his addictions. He does not operate at any level of reality that the rest of us operate in. When I looked closely at what I always suspected was evidence that he was sick, and put it all together on paper, I understood my role and how I contributed to the feeding of his "cancer."

I finally understood that continuing to be involved with him in any way only hurts him more. And because I do not want to act contrary to love, I must let him go and let him experience his life, and stand on his own two feet. It was difficult, yes, and painful, yes. I sobbed and wailed and cried with the sounds of an infant but I have not moved from it since.

I hope this helps you in some small way. I hope you feel better soon.