Old 10-17-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You haven't taken away anything from her - remember that- she has given it all away to booze.

....this meant a lot to me. My current situation is that although I have no human kids, I am a furmom and the friend I am trying to be supportive of, cares for my dog whilst I am at work. I had no idea she was alcoholic until 6 months into our friendship/dogcare, as she was dry during those months and only fell off the wagon again 2 months ago.

My dog means the world to me. She is also a service dog, visiting a Care Home weekly. She brings joy to everyone whose life she touches in any way.

She is very calming and healing to my friend but I am now accepting - albeit reluctantly - that the time is here when I am going to have to make that decision to remove her at any time my friend has been drinking. Which alas is most days.
I am hoping that she will be able to see that my taking my dog away, is for ALL our sakes. For my dog's safety, for my peace of mind, and for her to realise that SHE is in control of and responsible for her own future, not anyone else.
She has already said something vague but that made me wonder if she is in a kind of way begging for me to do this to her. That may sound strange; but she is a very caring lovely lady when she is sober, and I believe she genuinely cares about my dog and loves her enough to be afraid for herself that she may do her harm, even inadvertently.

I admire you who have the courage to stand fast in your resolve over this kind of thing; and I shall be going there within the next few days, and taking my chance on whether it destroys the friendship or indeed strengthens my friend's determination to seek proper help for herself.