View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
christin1225

funma,
I take Suboxone for treatment of my addiction. Therefore, I take it in much higher dosages than you do when taking it for pain. That's a peculiar thing about Suboxone. When it comes to using it for pain management, less is better. 2mg is effective when 8mg will do nothing for pain.

Many people do not find good pain management with Suboxone. The fact that you have, is wonderful. From what I've read, unlike other opiates, Suboxone is not likely to require you to take more and more as your tolerance builds because you won't build a tolerance exactly as you would with other opiates.

Also, the potential for abuse is less because it's only a partial agonist and, therefore, the euphoric properities aren't the same as your full agonists, such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, methadone, etc. It also helps that you won't benefit from taking other opiates while on Suboxone. The Bupe will block the effects of the other opiates (that's why some docs try Tramadol on patients taking Suboxone. Tramadol is a bit different chemically.)

Suboxone is a win-win situation for an addict who has pain issues that require medication.