Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

One evening 1988 I came across a PBS show with Bill Moyers talking to Joseph Campbell about "The Power of Myth". I was enthralled by the show. Finally I could see clearly all the questions I had about God had an answer that finally made sense to me. Then when I entered rehab for the first time in 1996 and was handed the Big Book. I realized that a God myth could not serve my needs as a Higher Power so I searched out a Higher Power that would. In that search I came across Alan Watts and Zen Buddhism.

Zen has transformed my strong atheist inclinations into a non-theist/deist understanding of what spiritual means to me. I feel fortunate to have come across a show that, as I was unaware at the time, would help me fit into AA and still have a round about way to help me maintain my doubt in faith. And yet have discovered a spiritual understanding that is meaningful to me. Thank you Joe.

"Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging." ~Joseph Campbell

Last edited by Zencat; 10-13-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo