Thread: Moving on....
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
takincareome

Deep breath

Originally Posted by reverse View Post
So here's the deal. She insists now on taking a bus, and a taxi from the bus station (even though she doesn't own a cell phone, has never rode a bus, hasn't even looked into any bus routes, and just the other day was trying to swindle every relative possible into driving her 4 hours to come and visit me. She doesn't even know what the bus routes are like to my apartment. On top of that, my co-dependent and alcoholic step-father would have to go out of his way to drop her off at the bus stop which is 30 min of driving there and 30 min. back. On top of that, once she is done visiting us (which she claims she wanted to visit for 2 days here and 1 day at my sister's), she is going to have to get a taxi to go to my sister's house and then a taxi from my sister's house to the bus station which would be at least a 25 mile drive. So taking a taxi for a total of at least 50 miles, then taking a bus for over 2 hours (by car from her house is only a 2 hour drive...by bus it's almost always twice as long b/c of all the stops--I know b/c I've had to use a bus for transportation for a year when I didn't have a car). By the time she got here, her entire day would be shot, she'd spend way more $$ for a taxi and a bus than she would if she would just drive a car and travel independently. which make everything harder than what it has to be.
You know what?
If that's what she wants to do, if she wants to come and see you, that is HER choice, HER responsibility and HER problem. NOT yours. It's up to her to choose to do that. She's a grown woman. Don't make yourself crazy worrying about her.

That e-mail was a textbook guilt trip. I know, because my mother does the same thing to me. Take a deep breath and see this for what it is: Manipulation. You don't have to respond to it.

Hugs.