View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mandjas

How do I detach with love?

I have had a lot of great advice throughout a few of the forums. I almost felt like I would recieve negative comments in return for my lack of humility over my mother disease, I am plesantly surprised to hear that I am heading in the right direction.

The 3 c's is very powerful but one thing I am struggling with is detaching with love. Just the fact that I am detaching will make my mother think I hate her and don't care. I must admit I can't bare to be around her when she smells like she has had a drink (she may not even be acting odd) but I know she's not fully there. I keep reaching out to include her in my life, like the other month, after we had moved out (which was pretty tense anyway) I was taking my son to the movies and asked if she wanted to come along but she got into the car smelling of alcohol and acting a little hyperactive, I thought to myself why do I even bother. Since then I haven't invited her anywhere. When she calls me and sounds not quite sober I can't be bothered to talk to her. I'm sure that must be hard being rejected by me a lot - especially as I was the only person that she felt she could talk to.

So how do you detach? Just detach your self emotionally or remove yourself from the situation? How can you continue to feel love and care for someone that has consisently chooses alcohol over everything and everybody else? Someone who shows no remorse or guilt over what they do to people around them?

:wtf2

A popular recommendation is to try al-anon. Good news! I have found a meeting in my area for tomorrow night and I will be attending to see if I can learn more about detaching with love.