View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BlarneyStone

I love what Pincuda said....there should be no line in the sand with AA Groups. We are all in this together regardless of how we got to this point. I'm sorry you had this unfortunate and unwelcome response from your AA Meeting. I'm only two weeks sober so I'm hardly in a position to offer any advice other than to share an interesting experience I had at an AA Meeting yesterday. I've been to a meeting (sometimes two) a day. I've tried many different groups in many different neighboring cities to my home. I was encouraged by a friend to try one in my own town. He claimed it was more in our "social-economic" background. I was reluctant to do so for fear I would encounter someone I know (which has already happened). Decided I needed to move beyond that and do whatever it takes to embrace this program. So last night I went to this meeting in my home town. It was the worst meeting I've been to so far. Very clicky. Sharing time consisted of members getting to choose who gets to speak next (in lieu of the moderator asking people to simply raise hands); so of course only those chosen could speak. They all knew one another and I felt like a total outsider. Not inclusive at all. Furthermore, the men in the group (mainly men) were a bit crude and shared stories that were borderline inappropriate (I don't really want to hear graphic details of being stripped searched....I get the point). Many stories just rambled on and on and were not on topic. I wanted to flee. I actually looked at my watch which I never do. When I walked out, I saw a good friend of mine from a far picking her son up at the park next to where this meeting was held. A friend who does not know that I'm in AA (yet) but of course now does.

Point of story: I will not return to this group (at least this particular meeting). I found a far greater connection with those in AA outside of my "social-economic" group then I did at this other meeting last night. Each sober day has posed interesting experiences but at least I am not drinking. Someday I hope to have 5 years under my belt, as you have. Best to you!