View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
biravatch65

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
I don't understand, what evidence? What part of will power centers in the body? Which part of will power centers in the spirit? If Will Power resides in the spirit and body, what resides in the mind then? What happens once alcohol is introduced to the body? If the first thing alcohol does is removes inhibitions chemically is it still will power even though that very same will power has been removed by alcohol in a chemical process?

So you don't believe alcoholism is "an unhealthy condition of mind or body with certain recognizable signs and symptoms" which is the definition of disease from a dictionary

I am just confused by your assertion that it's a three part malady then in the next sentence you say it centers in the will of the alcoholic, can both sentences be true especially in the same paragraph?

Did you read SFGirl's links?
Well it comes down to how you're using the term. I think that hepatitis, cirrhosis, ketoacidosis, congestive heart failure, pancreatitis, depression, etc... are diseases resulting in many cases from the toxicity of long-term alcohol consumption.

If we want to say that the consumption of toxic substances leads to physical changes in the brain resulting in addiction, then yes, we can say it's a disease. If that is the case, then it should be pretty straightforward to rebalance the chemicals in the brain and cure/treat addiction as we are able to do with depression, bipolar and schizophrenia. I personally believe that we need to address our physical health as well as the way we react to stimuli mentally, and that the best way to deal with our will to drink is to replace it with spiritual living.

I'm probably not making much sense...