Thread: What to do??
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Iwanttoheal

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post

If you want peace in your life, you may have to back further away and focus on building & enjoying your own life, far from their addiction. If you have grown up thinking that fighting and conflict and chaos are normal, this will feel strange at first, like something is missing. But it was the best thing I ever did...and nowadays we can have civilized relationships because 1) my boundaries are clear, 2) I always have an escape route (smart brother!) and 3) I have rooted out the thing in me that fed on the drama.
Goldberry, all I can say is that I agree 100% with GiveLove - detaching is also the best thing I ever did. Yes it was hard-going at first but it gets so much easier with time. The clarity that you get with distance is a wonderful, liberating experience.

I know that my future relationships will also be civilized (and minimal for me) because if they are not, I will be gone - I will no longer tolerate anything but polite, surface interactions because that is what I need to keep me healthy.

IWTHxxx