View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by P3bble5Girl View Post

Does anyone have any experience with librium at home for detoxing? Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? He really wants to detox, so I'm trying to work my the options that I have when insurance or medicaid isn't an option.

Thanks
I have experience in working with people who are admitted to inpatient facilities for medically supervised detox, however, I will not make those recommendations on here as each case is different and this isn't the appropriate venue for such.....

But, I will tell you this.... alcohol detox needs to be supervised in a hospital setting. If his psychiatrist has given him Librium to detox at home, then consult with him about the procedure. In the meantime, if he cannot get the psychiatrist and starts to experience withdraw symptoms, take him to a local ER and/or crisis center to be evaluated for a medical detox. When it comes to needing detox from alcohol, insurance isn't the priority, it's saving the life that becomes the priority and most hospitals know this. I worked as one of those screeners in a crisis center and 9 times out of 10 admitted all alcohol detox cases regardless of their ability and/or inability to pay. In some cases, the patient can apply for charity care, etc. and/or social workers can work with the patient in applying for medicaid if needed.

Please look at this situation, not one from insurance purposes, but one from what is the most safe. Alcohol detox should always be done in a hospital setting as the risk from withdrawal are far too great (e.g. DT's (delirium tremons, seizures, dehydration, etc.). If the psychiatrist is recommending an at home detox, please ask him to educate you on the risk.

In my opinion, knowing and seeing someone in active withdrawal from alcohol, I would not want that responsibility in my home.