View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Fixation

Welcome to SR

I don't believe recovery is necessarily linear - I've been sober since 2007 as well, but I've had moments of intense desire to 'step off the curb' more than once since then.

One thing I learned from reading here is - just because I feel it, doesn't mean I have to act on it.

I think it's natural to have some flashback to old desires, especially when you smoked and drank as long as I did, but it's not natural for me to give into those cravings now - I have a life predicated on me being clean and sober - giving into cravings is not an option.

Reading and posting here daily helps me remember what I'm doing this for...I've also worked very hard at various other areas in my life that drinking and drugtaking masked for so many years. Stopping the drinking or the drugs is seldom enough to stay stopped, in my experience.

None of us do this alone. Did you undergo any programme or did you just give up cold turkey?

You may find a support network of use - AA/NA is probably the predominant face to face peer support system but there are many others....counselling is also an option, and of course SR is always here 24/7.

Hope you'll use us more
see you around

D