View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by Tigger0309 View Post

The biggest think that they (MIL and RAH) tell is that I need to loosen up, and have some fun. I'm not a person that likes loud music or drinking at all.
I feel they are pressuring me to be in situations I don't feel comfortable in, and make me feel guilty when I leave. I get very angry at my husband when he won't leave too. I feel like he is so selfish and doesn't care about me or my feelings. I undestand that he needs to be his own person, but being in recovery why would you put youself into siutations that will set you up to fail.

Am I wrong?
How should I handle this?
No one will know how you feel until you verbally set up boundaries with both of them and ask they respect them. If they choose not to, then apply a behavior/consequence that you will follow through on that will let them know to not cross you. Eventually, after practicing this over and over, they will learn to back off. You have no control over your husband's and/or MIL's behavior/actions. They cannot make you feel guilty for leaving. This is something you put yourself through. If you want to leave because you do not want to be involved in a stressful situation and/or uncomfortable situation that is your right.

As long as you remain bottled up with your feelings and verbalizing how others should treat you, they will never get the picture.