Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kingston

[QUOTE=Lavash;2385714]Congrats on having the strength to face these demons.

There is no doubt my BF is an addict, but he's a very functioning addict who has anger issues and can/is verbally demeaning. He's also emotionally dead.
Not great qualities to have, but never had any of the other common traits of an addict.

He's been in recovery in AA for a yr and not had a drink and I lose sleep and cannot eating wondering how I why I'm going to leave him.
I don't even live with him.
Not saying one story is worse than the next, but seeing how low someone can get on the scale of addictions makes me realize my BF is not a nightmare like I thought.
(mayeb I'm in denial)

I too used to think my ExAH wasn't "all that bad" compared to others. I knew in my heart of hearts that I was in a very unhealthy situation, had been for over 20 years but kept thinking it will get better.

Know what it didn't. It got progressively worse and so did I. It only got better when I decided to do something about it, take responsibility for myself and my happiness.

Picture yourself in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from now. Do you see yourself in this relationship? Is it any better? Are you?