View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
jimhere

I was hoping you'd chime in here Steve. Before I go any further, I think that this has gotten away from the Op's original intent, but then again I 'm not surprised.

Tricky said:

"why cant you alcoholics get your head around the fact that if there was no alcohol you 'would' use. its ok saying "i dont do drugs", and "i could take them or leave them" but your talking with the bennefit of recovery, dont do recovery, take alcohol out the way and you would use. because we like the effect, that sence of ease and comfort that comes from taking a mind altering substance.

look, im an alcoholic, it wasnt my drug of choice, and thats the point because i did it anyway to change the way i feel. thats using alcohol against my will, as was using heroin and knowing the concequences and still doing it.

as for separating our meetings, wheres the unity there ? tradition 1,"

If they were the same problem, there would be no need for different fellowships. I would also advise against putting your words onto another's experience. Read my posts again, I think it is you that can't wrap your mind around my experience. Booze was my drug of no choice, if you will. Methamphetamine was my drug of choice. I'd rather roll in cow manure (or smoke it) than smoke marijuana. I walked away from that stuff years before I ever thought about stopping drinking. I dabbled with heroin a few times, but all it did was make me puke and nod out, which ain't my idea of fun. So what part of take or leave do you not get? I couldn't stop drinking even when it didn't work anymore. And when booze stopped working, which was after I'd stopped using drugs, it never occurred to me to enhance it with drugs.

You mention unity. But then you use a statement like "You alcoholics.." Have you considered that by making that statement you've drawn a line and separated yourself from the whole of Alcoholics Anonymous? In fact from the whole of everything. By your own words you are saying "But I'm different." Maybe you are different. Maybe you aren't really an alcoholic. Maybe you're a heroin addict who had a drinking problem. Not for me to decide, just a consideration I'm posing to you. Hard to have unity if there's not a common problem.

As for our group withdrawing from the mainstream of AA, a big reason is that attitudes such as yours are the rule rather than the exception.
Jim