Old 09-28-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
DonneIslanding

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
Alright, where is everyone? I've seen morgues that are livelier! This secular recover business sure can be lonely. Weird, how the steps programs are so crazily busy, but other areas are like ghost-towns. I will never quite get why AA has such a stranglehold on the recovery world: maybe that's why I don't like it: It's the dominant paradigm, and I am prone to dislike dominant paradigms, particularly ones with God and God as a He and such. Just seems weird to me. And yet their seem such scant ‘alternatives’ as groups go, just not very much activity seems to go on outside of them.

On day 3 and doing alright, very busy day at work, have been a bit crabby here and there, but OK.

Hope all are well,

HP
I started reading this thread today and am glad to hear that you're enjoying your third day of sobriety. I'm quite secular myself so I understand your aversion to the AA overtones.

I also noticed that you said you live in Baltimore; I know from personal experience that it can be very tough to live by yourself in a city.

The one thing I've really struggled with is developing a support system in my new area. I don't know if I can read the whole thread, but have you found any ways to improve your support system? Sober friends, sober group activities, etc.?

I believe you mentioned that you work at a library. Do you have any free book clubs that you can join?

Just some initial thoughts. Keep coming back.