Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newbiedorf

so conflicted!!!....how do balance support vs. anger?

I have posted a couple of times about my A sister. She was released from the hospital last week and is now living with my parents. I know she is attending NA and AA meetings. I have only had a few conversations with her. The first was brief when she was in the hospital and she was clearly a mess - detoxing and ashamed- and I was supportive. It felt right to just be as supportive as I could in that first conversation. I told her that she was doing the right thing , that she could do this, and that I loved her.

What I am now conflicted about is how to provide support for her but also be honest about how angry I am. And frankly I just dont know what to believe. She lied ALOT to my parents, and me, our sister, and friends over the last 8 months since she broke up with her boyfriend and moved in with my parents. I spoke with her yesterday and she told me about her meetings and that she has sponsor and then she went on and on about the urine testing and how they detected cocaine and ecstasy, which of course "she NEVER took!" (supposedly she has just had an Rx pill addiction).....But her boyfriend did crush pills up for her to snort so as (according to her) the doctors said, "well , who knows what your boyfriend gave you. he might have said that they were pills but there could have been other things in there".........And I'm thinking to myself "you haven't seen your boyfriend in 8 months...can they STILL detect ecstasy in your system after 8 months???" Now, I have NO idea what these tests are capable of detecting...but, I dont know, my interanl bull***t radar was going off for some reason. I guess in part because she was going on and on about it.

How have you handled this sort of inner conflict? I feel that although she has a history of SERIOUS manipulation and lying that I should assume that that was all b/c of the drugs, and always give her the benefit of the doubt because she at this critical, fragile turning point.....but that requires that I really bite my tongue.

any advice? thank you so much....