View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
driftwood
zen alien

small success - thank you SR

wasn't quite sure how i'd handle my first friday night since i decided to stop & was making all kinds of excuses for why it would be "ok" to knock back a couple after a hard week as i was driving home. by the time i got here i was thinking i would pretty much go ahead and open up those Dox XXs rolling around in the bottom of the fridge, but I checked here first. new as i am, still had several messages waiting to wish me luck and strength, & that helped me say "no" at that point.

around 6, though, my wife got home and reminded me that we were headed back out the door to spend the evening with several friends to celebrate one's new house, and i knew i was sunk...those gatherings have always centered around copious amounts of alcohol and i knew tonight wasnt going to be an exception. it wasn't. i'd guess that the average number of drinks consumed between 7pm and midnight was something like 9 per person.

...except for me. i had club soda, and that was it. and i'm really kind of emotional about it. i've never, ever done that before, in my entire adult life. i've never been the only one who didn't....and i'm grateful to the people here at SR, who, with just a little personal...human contact, have already made a difference for me. just the little bit of kindness and shared experience i've known here this week (not to mention shared accountability) helped me do something that, without a doubt, would've just gotten a 'fuggit' from me a week ago.

going to bed, now, sober. thank you.