Thread: Reflextions
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rose

I see alot of my husband in the boys, before he lost himself. I see today in them what attracted me to my husband when we first started to date. He was a good dad and without even having to say it, it was so clear how much he loved his sons. Family and friends were so important to him. He loved nothing better than having a house full of family and friends the more the marrier, but I also enjoyed it as well. He was a true down to earth man with a real sense of humour. He had such strong work ethics, but he was at his happiest when he had his own business. He started his own gravel trucking business and he did well at it, as he was a real go getter and treated his customers with such respect. If one person was not happy, he made it right. He had this business going for 15 years and I can only think of onetime he had a customer that was never happy. I answered the phones and did the books, this customer called and was very rude with me, uncalled for. My husband called him back and told him to take his business elsewhere, that nobody speaks to his wife like that. My husband was so normal, full of love and life then.

My husband worked long hours, took on job after job, so much that we had no family time and there was some conflicts happening. It was like he was addicted to work and then started the down fall. Work slowed down here, but work was plentyfull in Squamish, near Whistler where the 2010 Games are being held. He went there to work, there was work day and night there. He wanted it all, so he was working day and night, you can't possibly keep this up. He was away from home, met up with other guys away from home, then met up with crack, the answer to his problem. Kept him awake for days at a time, he could now work day and night.

It wasn't like we were in any big money problems that he was trying to get us out of. I am just reflecting back to it all, because sometimes it still just makes no sense. This all sort of makes sense to me now, he had an addiction to work and the addiction progressed into drugs to keep him working.

I knew his work habits were over and above, but never would I have given it a thought that it was so deep down....an addiction.

Rose