Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
Hi my name is Lisa, and I don't ever want to lose myself to booze again!

So, I have been sober coming on 9 months, go me=) My "recovery program" was this here site and some library books, SR is wonderful and I am grateful.

I have always been curious about AA, well, at least since I quit drinking. I also promised myself that I would avail myself to any means necessary to stay off the sauce when I quit, including AA, rehab, or having my lips sewn shut. So I figured it would be better to get my feet wet now, rather than wait for a potential relapse situation to check out my first meeting.

My first thought was "dang, these people are way more animated and raucous than I expected".

It was just a bunch of seemingly nice people sharing stories relating to how much better they like their lives sober.

The 5 or 6 people I met all had like 20+ years sober, crazy.

Anyway, I don't know if I will go back. I would like to meet some sober friends here, but I feel a bit like a poser going just to make friends, having no desire at this time to embrace the whole deal.

If you are considering going, go, it was mostly just a trip, with free cookies and coffee=)
That's awesome

If it was fun, and you had a nice time, why not go again?

For so many reasons, F2F support, make friends, people with similar interests, get some phone numbers, practice calling them, and then, when the sh1t hits the fan, and it will, at some point, as sure as the sun will peek it's fiery lil orb over the horizon there will come a day when you need support, they will be there for you.

and who knows, maybe doing the steps eventually will be as much of a surprise as this meeting was, it was for me, I have followed many of your shares here and many of the answers you seek can be found there.

What you come seeking for, you come seeking with, the steps will just allow you to access those, but seriously, no pressure about that, but why not go back, everyone will be happy to see you and welcome you, we are always happy to see another sober face.

The truth is, you find the right set of meetings it's a lot of fun.

like a lot of fun, that's why we go after we don't have to anymore, because we want to.