Thread: Reflextions
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rose

Reflextions

Hi Everyone,

Lastnight my youngest son came up and had dinner with me at work. While we were sitting there he said that he is getting his resume ready to sent to Alberta. My throat had an instant lump in it. Had it been a few years back I would have said " let me type that resume up for you and send it Fed-Ex ASAP...LOL" He does have a full-time job here, but he got a lead on some job that he feels would better his opportunities in the field of work he want to pursue...Heavy Duty Mechanics.

The night before my oldest son came over and he was talking about some houses that he wants to have a look at to buy, putting a suite in the basement and renting it out. Again a few years ago with him as well I felt that I could have Begged, Borrowed or Stole just to have him in his own place, we were constantly at each other.

These were to boys who lost their dad to crack addiction at 12 and 14, they were not babies, sure old enough to read the newspaper and see their dads name on the front page for the numerous robberies that had taken place around the city that he was arrested for. Old enough to know about drugs and what can happen, seeing first hand from thier own dad.

I sure had my hands full with these two for a few years let me tell you it was not nice. They would listen to nothing I told them, everyday and I mean everyday I had a voice mail from the principal or he would be calling me at work, plus almost every weekend I had a call or visit from the police. I am so surprised that I was not suspended or let go from my job, as I was calling in sick, leaving work to either go to the school, the police department or attenting one of many court cases for my husband. I had no idea if they were just going through the teen madness, the out come of what they were going through with their dad or both. There was no way in this world that I was able to convince them to get some help.

They have not seen their dad in 5 years, well the oldest did see him last Nov. for about 1 hour, but it is by their own choice, they just have no respect for him, he let them down so badly, as well as caused so much embarrassment for them. It was such a cruel thing to have happen to them, just a senseless selfish act on their dads part and all we can say is " he is sick" by his own doings.

Today those to young boys are now 19 and 21, they have such strong morals, are caring and responsible young men with I feel great goals in life. I can go to bed at night and not worry about what they are up to. I was told in al-anon that it was a 50/50 chance on what road they would take in life, one following their dad and it sure was looking like this was the path they were going down, but as for today I am ever so proud of those two young men.

They don't know, but I am going to have to tell them soon, but I have pre-booked a trip to Mexico for the 3 of us for Christmas for a week. Their lives are moving on and it could be a very longtime before we could ever have the chance to do this again.

Rose