View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Freeport

Gypsy Feet really nailed it with this line, Driftwood: "If you can quit before you 'hit bottom,' I highly recommend it."

You and I sound a lot alike Drift. I'm a bit younger, but I too stuck mostly with expensive, often locally brewed craft beers. Home-brewed myself, also. Kept telling myself that as long as I wasn't buying mass-produced beer by the case, then I wasn't like those alcoholics who don't know any better. Well, ethyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol whatever form one delivers it into the system.

Same story here. No DUIs, never missed work, hell even this week my wife questioned why I'm not drinking because she didn't think it was a problem. But bottom line, I could feel myself beginning to lose control, and deep down in my private heart (copyright Suki) I knew and still know beer or any booze no longer can be a part of my life. Coupled with the fact that there has been alcoholism in my family and my wife's family, and it's my responsibility to set an example for my kids. To help break the cycle.

It's only been 136 days for me, Driftwood, so I'm no expert. Our stories and backgrounds sound similar, however, so all I can suggest is to keep reading here on SR, let people help you, and post more yourself. The stories here definitely have helped me keep focused on the fact that I never want to hit rock bottom.