Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Creekryder
Cause no harm

firestorm,
We are raised to be strong, unbending, never cry, and never stop for directions at a gas station. We are men. The truth is we are just little boys, not much different when we were physically small. We cried when we fell down, got angry and punched our brother when he took the baseball cards out of our room, asked mom or dad to open the lid on the peanut butter. Sometimes things just was out of our hands and needed help, but we were told "you're a big boy now, you do it." That is not at all a bad thing, we do need to do and take care of things for ourselves. But somewhere the idea got a bit convoluted and it became a sign of weakness if we couldn't do it by ourselves. Even when the big things came that was really too big for us to tackle alone, it was not manly to ask for help. Then, on that certain day of our life, we reach a point to say, "You know what? I need some help. This is too much for me." After reaching that point, it becomes easier and easier to realize and to accept help. Hells bells, I don't even try to fix my car by myself anymore because I don't have the ability, or tools , or knowledge, or whatever. I ask for help.

My life has gone completely out of hand the past few months because of alcohol and I can't do it all by myself. "Hey, Buddy, can ya lend a hand to your pal here? Thanks, I sure could the help."

See? That wasn't so hard. And you know what? I'm still a tough guy. I just happen to have some tough friends to help me kick alcohol's sorry butt.

Hang in there, tough guy, we're all in this together.

Padraic