View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
racerAK

Never thought I'd say this but...

Thank God for my DUI. No, really. It's forced me to take a serious inventory of myself and my drinking behavior. Expensive? Ohhhh yeah. Embarrassing? You betcha. Scared the **** out of me? Yikes!

I realized that while I drink very little at home (for which I am grateful!) I drink like an alcoholic in social situations. Friends have come to me concerned. I've passed out more times than I can count. And that doesn't include the times I don't remember a thing. I have driven seriously wasted and thank GOD made it home alive. I go out and wake up the next morning filled with shame and remorse, hungover and shaking. I even turned to "hair of the dog" once...I felt so scared that I did that. I've missed work due to my drinking bouts. I've been the subject of embarrassing stories from my friends *cringe*. Clearly I've been in legal trouble due to my drinking.

So after my classes this weekend I decided my best course of action was "don't drink, period".

I looked around online for resources and stumbled across this wonderful place. I spent most of yesterday on here, reading your stories and of your courage and hope and grit.

Today is day 2 of not drinking. It was hard last night - my sister was having her usual few beers and I was tempted, but I am committed!

Your stories give me hope and faith that I can do this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.