Thread: Tradition Ten
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mogqua
Extremity

Daily Reflections on the Tenth Tradition

How much it means to me that an unbroken tradition of more than half a century is a thread that connects me to Bill W. and Dr. Bob. How much more grounded I feel to be in a Fellowship whose aims are constant and unflagging. I am grateful that the energies of A.A. have never been scattered, but focused instead on our members and on our individual sobriety.
My beliefs are what make me human; I am free to hold any opinion, but A.A.’s purpose – so clearly stated fifty years ago – is for me to keep sober. That purpose has promoted round-the-clock meeting schedules, and the thousands of intergroup and central service offices, with their thousands of volunteers. Like the sun focused through a magnifying glass, A.A.’s single vision has lit a fire of faith in sobriety in millions of hearts, including mine.
~~~~~
The honesty expressed by the members of A.A. in meetings has the power to open up my mind. Nothing can block the flow of energy that honesty carries with it. The only obstacle to this flow of energy is inebriation, but even then, no one will find a closed door if he or she has left and chooses to return. Once he or she has received the gift of sobriety, each A.A. member is challenged on a daily basis to accept a program of honesty.
My Higher Power created me for a purpose in life. I ask Him to accept my honest efforts to continue on my journey in the spiritual way of life. I call on Him for strength to know and seek His will.
~~~~~
Do I remember that I have a right to my opinion but that others don’t have to share it? That’s the spirit of “Live and Let Live.� The Serenity Prayer reminds me, with God’s help, to “Accept the things I cannot change.� Am I still trying to change others? When it comes to “Courage to change the things I can,� do I remember that my opinions are mine, and yours are yours? Am I still afraid to be me? When it comes to “Wisdom to know the difference,� do I remember that my opinions come from my experience? If I have a know-it-all attitude, aren’t I being deliberately controversial?
~~~~~
As an A.A. member and sponsor, I know I can cause real damage if I yield to temptation and give opinions and advice on another’s medical, marital, or religious problems. I am not a doctor, counselor, or lawyer. I cannot tell anyone how he or she should live; however, I can share how I came through similar situations without drinking, and how A.A.’s Steps and Traditions help me in dealing with my life.

Daily Reflections, pp.310, 311, 312, 313