View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Copy that.

It is pretty much impossible for any relationship to have problems that are 100% one person's fault. Because it is a "relationship."

If a "relationship" has a problem then each person needs to accept 100% of 50% of the problem....you follow me?

So you ask what a codependent person is expecting from a very close friend in such a situation? Depends on the person! That's an individualized thing. Some people like lots of communication and encouragement and attention - some people like to be left alone with their struggles and encouraged from a distance by letters or email etc. I mean the label "codependent" is just one way of identifying and clustering behaviors in people who are often caught up in relationships with addicts. It does not define an entire person or group of people.

So since I have learned in my life that trying to read people's minds (what codependent person could expect from a very close friend in such situation ?) or trying to alter my behavior to suit someone else's expectations of me are 2 unhealthy activities to engage in, I can only suggest that you:

a. ask her specifically what she wants from you - and believe her answer.
b. work on yourself and your problems since you cannot actually ever fix another person's problems.
c. decide for yourself how much of your mental energy you want to devote to this person, what are you getting out of it?

I find it interesting that you think you have NO problems! I just find that astounding and interesting and very revealing!

Good luck -
b