View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

Welcom 987Seek!!! Glad to have your here!

So glad you have reached out and are trying to keep yourself healthy while being supportive to your friend.

You asked...

how do I show support w/o getting more involved or taking ownership of the problem?

I think you answered them in your post...

I am likely an enabler but have tried/trying to be sure I am not doing that by allowing him pick up this mess. I finally just put my foot down.

I have made it clear that if things do not change, he does not do the full package deal then that is his choice he is making as the ones he has made.

You are setting healthy boundaries with him and making it known is an caring a way possible that his decisions and consequences of those decision are his own and that you will now allow unhealthy behavior to affect your life.

You can show support to him by educating yourself on his addiction so you can have some understanding of what he is going through. I agree with attending Al-Anon and do some reading as this will help a lot. Attending open sessions for family and friends where he receives treatment if you are comfortable with it, might also help. Beyond those, my best advice is to keep yourself healthy and let him manage his own recovery and return to life with the tools he learns.

Best to you,

Alice