View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

I'm horrible at managing my money. I never pay myself.

Today I finally opened a savings account and put about 85% of my last pay check into it.

So simple, but very big for me.

Here's my plan because I really want/need a car:

I will only put into my checking account what I need to spend for bills and such, but the majority of my income goes right into the savings. This means I have to plan ahead. I know how much my meds and therapy costs, so no excuses.

I cancelled my cell phone service today. I don't have to worry about that after I pay my last bill. I'll have an extra $45 a month.

What gets me is small spending. At the time I think what I'm doing is okay because it's only $20 or so here and there, but dang. Sometimes I do this several days in a row! It adds up quickly.

If I had put all of my money into my checking account today I know I'd blow through it in about two weeks.

What do I spend it on now that I don't drink? I thought I'd save by not drinking...but no. I buy books, video games/software, food, clothing, etc.

Have you ever gone to Walmart, shopped, and then on your way out ask yourself, "how in the crap did I just blow through $200? What did I just buy and why did I think I needed it?"

Time for me to stop the spending sprees.

It's a beautiful day today.