View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

I do not have experience with one on one counseling for codependency. Hopefully someone will be along with more advice.

I do have experience with recovery. In my experience, recovery requires a lot of personal reflection. Looking at past behaviors, motives, actions, etc...but it is also important to share these discoveries with someone that can be trusted and understands the process. Sharing is a form of expressing and getting the feelings out into the open.

In recovery, the person we choose to share our intermost feelings and emotions with needs to have knowledge of the process and/or experience. In my personal recovery from addiction, I choose to share with others who have had the same addiction. They understand where I have been and what I am going through. I may not find as much support from someone who had only read about my addiction.

During the process of self reflection, it can be distracting to try and be supportive in a relationship with someone other than myself. To be healthy in a personal relationship I need to be healthy in my own skin. To know who I am and appreciate who I am.

I hope you can continue to offer support as a friend. Please stick around and read/post as much as needed.