Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tandem545

Should I give an anonymous tip for police regarding drug use?

My sister is a mess and falling apart. A couple of weeks ago we got a frantic call from her saying how she needed help right away because she'd been beaten up really bad (kicked/punched, etc.). Her 'boyfriend' apparently was drunk, got angry that my sister wouldn't drive him home (she refused since she was drunk as well) and took his anger out on the family car as well as her. I got the phone call and was an hour away, so of course I just called the police. I wasn't going to wait around for her to get hurt even more.

So the police came, took my sister to the station, but when they started questioning her she ran away. We picked her up from a nearby bar. The girl didn't even have any shoes on! We convinced her to go to the hospital to get checked out. She refused a urine test because she confided in me that she had snorted cocaine that night. That was the first time I had ever heard straight from her mouth she was doing something that serious. We persuaded her to file a police report the next morning.

The next day when she was supposed to get an order of protection, she ran away from home and cancelled the police report. Since then she has been back home on and off. My parents finally had enough and kicked her out. Currently she is with the same 'boyfriend'.

She has told me before that he does drugs. I got more info that he has a gun, deals cocaine as well as prescription drugs. She got freaked out when we called the police because she didn't want him to get into trouble. I know where he lives. I so want to give an anonymous tip so the cops can catch him and they can go to jail. I thought the domestic violence incident would be her rock bottom, but apparently it isn't. Maybe getting arrested would be.

I've gotten mixed opinions. Some say to do it, others say I should be afraid the drug dealer would trace it back to our family and seek revenge (whether on my sister or us). What do you think?

I just feel so helpless right now. I don't know what the hell she is thinking staying with him. She said she wasn't addicted to the cocaine and it was the first time in 2 months, but what other reason would she have to be with him? He's her supplier.