View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
one of

As far as the usefulness of these other 7 major religions... how sober did they keep you prior to A.A.? I do "be quick to point out where religious people are right...make us of what they offer" as part of my 11th Step. I don't know about y'all. I stay plugged into A.A. ... no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mcgowdog,

I certainly don't want to get into some major dispute here. I've already pointed out that AA has been working in Japan for over 30 years where most of the members pray to Buddha, and worship The Good.

I'd be amazed also if I couldn't go to any decent sized city in India and find an AA meeting, where the Hindus would be praying to any number of manifestations of God.

As a student of religious studies at San Diego State (before they did away with that Major and after sobriety) and after taking a course entitled, "Jesus as a major figure," I saw quite clearly that every one of the religions I was introduced to could lead its people to the necessary spiritual growth delineated in the second paragraph of step 7 (12&12 - written 14 years after "The first edition" of the BigBook® - and thus written by a sober man with 14 years of additional growth along spiritual lines who had realized just what had happened to those first alkies who stayed sober) I also saw at that time that most of those same religions could be misused. The exclusivity factor inherent in most of them (My religion is the right religion so yours must be wrong) could provide a group ego trip which would actually inhibit growth in the direction of humiity. Jesus spoke to that concern when he told the young Jewish man, "Follow me and let their dead bury their dead."

When one's mind is slammed shut to an acceptance of the worth of all paths which lead from egoism towards humility, they become spiritually dead. Just as do those who are sure they know what is good and what is evil. That is why I think the Honesty, Open-mindedness and Willingness should not only be capitalized, but be a mainstay in the program of every AA member. But then again . . . I do recognize that there are, as Bill wrote in step 7, many who can surrender to the steps of AA to the point of being able to stay sober without sticking with them to the point of learning how to feel calm, serene, and at home in the universe (the state of humility pointed to in the plaque on Dr. Bob's desk (Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers pg. 222).

Finally, I'm wondering a bit about the SR guidance you refer to in your final signature. Are you saying they advise that I don't quote from the 12&12 and Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers? I doubt that. You'll need to show me. Love and Blessings - Chuck

Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers
Copyright AAWS

Last edited by CarolD; 09-17-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline