Thread: OneDayAtATime
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wuzzled

One Day at a Time means so many things to me.

Today is all I have, right here, right now. I cannot know what tomorrow will bring, maybe there won't even be tomorrow. So just in case there isn't, I have to make the most of what I have today. Anyone can be here today, gone tomorrow. I won't take it for granted, that I will be here tomorrow.

I used to spend countless hours and days worrying about the future and fretting about the past. It was exhausting and destroying me. I look back at the many things I worried about, conjured up in my mind, thought would happen, and how that I really never had any control over how anything was to unfold. It would be whatever it was gonna be. Some of the things I worried about did happen, some did not, and some maybe just haven't happened yet. Either way, all I have is today.

With the help of Al-Anon, and the slogans like "one day at a time", I have been able to look only at today, and what I can do with this day.

Years ago, when I first went to a Nar-anon meeting, I remember something in a reading about You wouldn't go to a hardware store expecting to find bread. I remember thinking to myself, dahhhh. . . . , or course I wouldn't, this stuff is stupid, I just don't get it. I only went for a few months, then stopped going. Fast forward about 9 years, and here I am again, same sh*t different day.

Decided to go back (this time Al-Anon, no Nar-anon in area), give it another try. Keep an open mind, what do I have to lose at this point. Now one year later, I see how much Al-anon principles have helped me. Sometimes not gigantic ways, but in small ways. Ways that have definitely helped me through this past year.

There are many slogans and they have been what has helped me through this past year. It's funny how just a few simple words, really can make a difference.

I didn't get it at first either. I just kept going back, because they said to. They kept saying "it works if you work it".

So .... just keep going back, keep an open mind, take what you want and leave the rest, progress not perfection.

Slogans was the topic at the meeting last night. Great thread.