Thread: OneDayAtATime
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

I like to think of the idea of living one day at a time like planning Thanksgiving Dinner.

The big day and big meal are like my plans for the future. Something I have set in my mind that I want to be really special. Through the year I go on as usual with Thanksgiving day in the back of my mind. As I browse the grocery store I watch for specials on the items I need. When one comes up that will get me one step closer to finishing my list of items, I add it to my cart. It does not change what I am shopping for at the moment and for the week, but it's a purchase towards my goal. As I complete my list and the time grows shorter to the big day, I begin to make those last minute preparations and get down to cooking. In the week leading up to Thanksgiving, I really kick it into high gear. I buy last minute perishables, set the table, defrost the Turkey, but all the while I still work, prepare my meals for the day, enjoy the fall weather. When finally I have met my goal and my guests go home with full stomachs and a carload of leftovers, I think of the next year and what I might like to change in my menu.

Living one day at a time and staying in the present isn't about not having goals or dreams of the future. It is about living in the day you are presented with and all its ups and downs but keeping those goals in the back of your mind letting it mold your decisions along the way to lead you up to acheiving those goals. Add that little something to your basket each day, each week, or each month to get you there but don't forget to feed yourself for the day.

I hope this might help. It seemed to for me when I was trying to understand it. I've been living alot for the future lately myself and finding I'm forgetting to enjoy my here and now. Thanks for the refresher course.

Alice