View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
freya

I agree that Truth is Truth.

It also seems to frequently be True that, while "the opposite of a little truth is a lie, the opposite of a big Truth is another Truth."

Insofar as "there are many paths to the top of the mountain but the view is always the same," it would be rather strange if there were not considerable overlap in both the practices and the principles of the various paths.

Fr. Ed Dowling sought out Bill W. because of the extensive similarities he noticed between the 12 Steps and the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignacious.

At the end of his book Man's Search for Meaning, Nazi concentration camp survivor Viktor Frankl provides an interesting -- though far from complete -- "list" of some of the major themes underlying all or most of the world's great religions and philosophies. Haven't looked at in a long time, but, from what I do rmember, the 12 Steps "fit" with all the rest quite nicely.

In the final analysis, I'm not sure what or how much difference any of this makes -- The important thing is that one chooses one's path or paths and one walks it to the best of one's ability. As long as one isn't trying to walk contradictory paths at the same time and/or trying to keep anyone else from walking his/her chosen path, my guess is it's all good.....and it will get one where one is supposed to be going.

freya