View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
McGowdog

Yeah, I was wondering where in the world this
Thats all. He wasnt a holy man, and to elevate him to such status doesnt really do much good for AA..
came from.

Bill W. was instrumental in getting a book printed that described the experience that lead to the sobriety of a bunch of people following specific instructions. He certainly remained human during that whole time.

No Holy Man necessary. No cult here. As far as not seeing the same Truth that Jesus and buddha saw, how do you know? Maybe he did see Truth during his religious experience. Who cares? Do these particular things and live this certain way and follow these certain rules and you won't want to drink. You mention the Appendix in the back of the book Spiritual Experience. It's not even necessary. Look at the last two paragraphs of We Agnostics;

"Even so has God restored us all to our right minds. To this man (Bill), the revelation was sudden. Some of us grow into it more slowly. But He has come to all who have honestly sought Him.

When we drew near to Him He disclosed Himself to us!"

See the bolding I put in there? See how "all" is not in caps but "Him" is? Bill was merely part of the "all" which is less than the "Him".

As far as the usefulness of these other 7 major religions... how sober did they keep you prior to A.A.? I do "be quick to point out where religious people are right...make us of what they offer" as part of my 11th Step. I don't know about y'all. I stay plugged into A.A. ... no matter what.