View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi Essence
Welcome to SR

Congratulations on yr sober time.

I think it's common to feel angry in early recovery - and it's equally common to not know how to handle it.

Reading your post it strikes me much of your anger may stem from the same place mine did. This endless raking over the past and beating yourself over things long since past is clearly not doing you any favours, Essence.

Wanting to make things right, to fix things, and obsessing about this, were two of my biggest problems.

One of the best things I ever did was to finally accept that my past was inaccessible to me. Whatever I had done,however stupid or embarrassing or hurtful, I had to accept it could not be changed.

I eventually realised all I could do was to change from now - live my life 'right' from today onwards (or as near to as possible) and try and make amends that way - if I become the man I should have been all those years, I figured that would speak louder than words and work better than aimless anger - and in my case, it did.

I'm still a work in progress at 2 yrs + but I'm far more comfortable with myself, I'm proud of who I've become...I've forgiven myself as far I can for my former life and my mistakes.....and my anger is much less.

I'm lucky enough to have a counsellor in my life - have you considered counselling or other means of face to face support? I think it's often useful to 'unload', especially to a professional.

I hope to see you post more here anyway - this is a great place for support
D