View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
one of

Originally Posted by preta View Post
I certainly dont think Bill W. saw the same truth that Jesus or the Buddha saw. (i dont even think Jesus and the Buddha saw the same truth but thats a different story)
Bill W. found a way for one drunk to help another drunk come to live a spiritual life and quit drinking for good. Thats all. He wasnt a holy man, and to elevate him to such status doesnt really do much good for AA..
Hi preta,

You may be right. My sharing is for people who have a similar IQ to my own, who came to the program with similar pre-sobriety ideas to my own, who are near worshippers of logic as I am, and who are willing to go to any lengths to stay sober despite the many difficulties they might have with the "God concept" as I have done. My sharing obviously won't be of use to those who have a firm and unshakeable belief in a God Who they came to know through participation within one of the 7 or 8 major religions of the world. That's why diversity is valuable, isn't it. I can help a few people with my views, you can help a few people with your views, etc. It keeps the mind of AA always open to new truth. The teaching portion of the BigBook® includes in its final message the words, "We realize we know only a little." Me too, Peta. I realize I know but a little. The unknown, to my belief, is far, far, far, from being a void. The only thing I can do in order to feel honest within myself is to share what seems to me to be the truth. But you are right, I certainly don't know the entire truth any more than does anyone else. All the information is simply not out there yet.

The BigBook® Appendix labelled "Spiritual Experience" speaks to the necessity of maintaining attitudes of Willingness, honesty, and open mindedness." I expect that means something different to you than it does to me. I don't know what may be good for AA and what may be bad, but I do know that not only on these message boards but when I speak at meetings, there are many who have thanked me for sharing whatever it was that I shared that day, and that helps me to believe my open-minded sharing is usually a help, rather than a hindrance. The fact that you felt that my post was elevating Bill W. to the status of whatever it means to be a holy man, doesn't mean that that was my intent. It wasn't. And the same applies to Eckhart Tolle, bless his heart. Love and Blessings - one of