View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IPT

Originally Posted by kshisme View Post
If my step-son really wanted to quit using drugs, and he was at rock-bottom, why didn't he seek treatment himself? (because he wanted the drugs more than he wanted to get better, right?)
I'm not an addict, but I dated one. That qualifies me for nothing really but when I read this a thought just came into my mind that I wanted to share. I don't know that he wanted the drugs more than to get better. If my ex was even partially truthful I think that addicts truely do want to quit but the idea of rehab is just totally overwhelming and insurmountable to them. Thus they move toward it, talk about it, want the result of it, but cannot quite find the strength to step into the unknown and face their fears to actually commit to it. Seems to me that a lot of addicts have problems coping in general... imagine how overwhelming Rehab would seem!

Maybe that is why as stated some people end up there for reasons other than their own choice and then embrace it. They were forced over the fence and then once they were there realized it wasn't so scary after all. That the reward was worth it and they just might be able to get to that place they dreamed of after all.

Just my thoughts....