Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunflowers

Smile Update

It's been an interesting six months that is for certain! My nephews, soon to be legally my sons (YAY!), are all doing well. We've had a few snags along the way while we integrated them into our family, but thankfully those were few and far between.

My addicted sister and her boyfriend were recently sentenced (finally), and I had hoped that I would feel some sort of closure, but all it left me feeling was disappointed. Disappointed in her, disappointed in the system, just bleh. I have started to realize that I cannot depend on her for any sort of real information as to what is happening. I've had to depend on the social workers who were attending the hearings for the children to get information. I worry that she has killed off some pretty serious brain cells because she just acts like she's not even present for these things. Recently Dad asked her if she was "behaving" and she says "Yes, except I mouthed off at a guard and they yelled at me."

I have accepted that I cannot "fix" her, and I am focusing instead on raising these beautiful children. The adoption should be finalized sometime this month, and then perhaps we can just breathe for a bit. She was given 10 yrs with mandatory serving of 30%, which means since she's already had a year in that she will be there for only two years. That's if they don't parole her instantly. I worry since her BF got the same amount of time. I know that he will go right back to this. Call it a gut feeling, and she will go back to him, and we will be back at square one. She's already stated that she wants more children, and I dread a repeat of the entire ordeal, but in the interim we are still kicking and breathing. Hubby is finally home from the middle east, and is adjusting to our new family of six!

So our update is happy, and functional and honestly there are days when it just seems as natural as breathing to be a mother of four boys. Just as natural as it was being just the mother of one, albeit a little more tiring! LOL