Thread: Functional?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ItsmeAlice

We decided to stop contact and he can reach out when he decides he is serious about recovery. I do miss him, of course, but I realize this is the only option for the moment.

Congratulations on made a tough but healthy decision for yourself!

but I just don't get how he'd be able to focus on getting sober (even if he tried) with things falling back into place

He may have to gown back down the rabbit hole and hit his bottom once more, twice more, or a few more times before being sober isn't just about holding down a job and keeping his acquaintances and family from focusing on his drinking but rather really living his life without the affects of alcohol.

I hope you've had a great holiday weekend. I hope you have not spent much time worrying about him as there is nothing you can do to save him from himself.

Much love,
Alice
Is it possible for someone who was drinking to blackout daily to go back to being a functional alcoholic?

Alcoholism is an insidiously progressive disease, so the answer I have is...no.

My EX alcoholic boyfriend cut way back and went back to binge drinking many a time over and is only modestly accepting that he has a problem. As long as he is able to hold down a job and seemingly cope through each day, he won't see it as bad enough to seek treatment.

"rather die than stop drinking."

Sadly I've heard this one before.