Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by confusedfiance View Post

based on your experiences, is it ever possible for an addict to be honest about their addiction? that is something i am struggling with it. i feel that there were opportunities for him to be honest and come clean and it aches me that he didn't have the guts to do so. once, i screamed at him over and over again for being selfish.

he thinks i should be more active in getting better. maybe i don't want to be.
I think he is right... you should be active in getting your own treatment and bettering yourself... that's the one sane thing he's saying. He can't help you with those issues even though he was the direct cause of your anger.

Yes, in my experience the addict does become truthful about their addiction but well into recovery and well into working their steps. If he's currently using or early in recovery there isn't much for you to expect from him. He is selfish, addiction is a selfish disease. It has no compassion on the addict and/or heir sufferers caught in the web. The whole goal is for you to get out of that web and heal. Eventually, he will make amends (if he's serious about recovering). If not, that amends may never happen.

I'm sorry that addiction doesn't have any definite answers. I completely understand that space in between you are in. It's a B to be there but over time you will heal. :ghug3