View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
covington

denial, blame and deflecting

It's very hard to tell the difference between the quacking and the "truth." You have to be very skilled (LOL) at differentiating between the two and be careful not to discount what the person inside the duck is feeling and going through. Their pain and suffering is as real as ours. After awhile (and after you've detached enough), you learn how to identify what is just drama and what is not. You learn what is denial, blame, and deflecting, and what is not. We have to also be careful not to feel sorry for them.

Learn2Live

I really appreciate your posting this. It really made it hit home how little honest to goodness compassion I often have had. It's hard for him to tell the difference between my quacking [see above] and the "truth". He'd have to be very skilled (LOL) at differentiating between the two and it'd be easy for him to discount and dismiss what I'm feeling inside and going through. He has to be very careful not to feel sorry for me or responsible for me. Thanks for helping me try to see it from both sides.

Detachment, detachment, detachment. My new mantra.