View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Greener
Enlightened Black Man

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Greener glad to hear that Naltrexone is doing the job for you, when it was prescibed to me I was told Naltrexone is only helpful when it is used as part of an addiction treatment program like AA.

I was one of those folks that it did nothing for, (I wish it had) but I know a lot of people that it really helped them get through thier first month or 2 sober in AA.

Just to verify that what I was told was correct I went to the following site Naltrexone: MedlinePlus Drug Information and found the below quote from it:

So are you doing anything except taking the Naltrexone?

I assume your doctor is not going to have you use it long term because there are some really nasty side effects according to that same site.
The medication is now a generic, so the company that originally produced it... I forgot who it was... came up with the original directions which are still in use. The directions do not reflect other off-label physician's directions that reflect recent studies and research. They are unlikely to change them now. My doctor had me taking it only when I felt like I had to drink and not to take it when I didn't drink. So now that I'm not drinking any longer I am not taking any more Naltrexone. So I dont have to worry about any side effects.

Oh, I had no counseling or support group at all. It really helped me not to focus on the addiction because I was doing other things.

Still, I think, whatever works, do it!

RG